- BEV/PTP has been working in the field of ionising radiation, including dosimetry and radionuclide metrology for more than 33 years as the primary standard and National Metrology Laboratory of Austria. BEV/PTP aims to ensure high quality and efficient project implementation and management (e.g. coordination of the EMRP IND57 MetroNORM JRP, participation in EMRP MetroMetal and MetroRWM) and will provide an experienced and dedicated project manager who will lead the JRP. BEV/PTP will coordinate the JRP.
- BFKH is the Hungarian National Metrology Institute. Earlier the National Office of Measures (OMH) carried out those tasks which originated from legal and scientific metrology field in Hungary. Since 2007 the OMH merged into Hungarian Trade Licensing Office (MKEH) together with its tasks. The Office maintains the National Standards and makes their international comparisons and assures the national dissemination with calibrating the measuring instruments. It provides the type-tests and EU conformity assessments. The Radiation Physics and Chemistry section deals with (among others) the metrology of ionising radiation.
- CEA is the French atomic energy commission. The CEA/LNHB (Laboratoire National Henri Becquerel) is the French national metrology laboratory for ionising radiation designated by the Laboratoire National de Métrologie et d’Essais (LNE) and has ~50 permanent staff members. The fields covered by CEA/LNHB are radionuclide metrology and dosimetry of photons and charged particles. The laboratory develops and maintains references which are transferred to accredited standard laboratories and end-users, according to its ISO 17025 accreditation and the CIPM MRA. CEA/LNHB participates regularly to international comparisons lead by BIPM. It has worked for many years in the development of primary activity measurement techniques and it has developed the first radon primary measurement instrument based on the alpha spectrometry of a cryogenic radon source.
- CMI provides uniformity and precision of measuring instruments and measurements in all the fields of research, technical and economic activities. Main scientific fields of research of the laboratories are: production of activity standards (222Rn and other radionuclides), absolute activity measurement, spectrometry and dose measurements. Apart from focusing on the national part of research, CMI has participated and is participating in many projects based on international cooperation e.g. EMRP and EMPIR (MetroMetal, MetroRWM, MetroDecom, MetroERM, MetroBeta, MetroMRT, MetroDosimetry and MetroEXTRT).
- IFIN-HH is a Designated Institute (DI) from Romania, signatory of the CIPM MRA. The Radionuclide Metrology Laboratory (LMR) from IFIN-HH has a long experience in primary and secondary methods of activity standardization, production of radioactive standard sources and solutions, participation in intercomparisons of activity measurements, experimental determination/evaluation of nuclear decay data and equipment calibration. IFIN-HH participated in the EURAMET-EMRP JRPs ENG08-MetroFission and IND04-MetroMetal.
- PTB has expertise in the field of primary and secondary activity standardization of a large number of radionuclides including 222Rn and 220Rn. In particular the expertise in the field of radon metrology is relevant for this project in order to develop the stable radon emanation sources. PTB was involved and is involved in many EMRP projects like MetroFission, MetroMetal, MetroRWM, MetroDecom and MetroERM, in three of them as leader of the “Reference Standard WPs”.
- STUK is the national authority in radiation and nuclear safety and maintains the metrological standards necessary to ensure reliable radiation measurements, including radon. Approval of measuring appliance or method of measurement for the radon concentration of inhaled air is applied from STUK. STUK’s Radon and Health Laboratory carries out about 10 000 radon measurements annually (integrated, continuous and spot measurements) and maintains the radon standard and provides calibration services.
- VINS Secondary Standard Dosimetry Laboratory of Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences is the only institution in Serbia providing metrology services in the field of ionising radiation that is officially recognised. It is recognised by National Metrology Institute (Directorate of Measures and Precious Metals). Vinca is accredited for radon measurements according to EPA 520 method. Vinca participated at the first national indoor radon survey in 2015-2016, as well as in FERAS (First East European Radon Symposium) intercomparison in 2012.
- AGES, the National Radon Centre of Austria – is significantly involved in implementing the EU-BSS and is developing the national radon action plan and methods for the delineation of radon priority areas. AGES acts as an interface between the stakeholders and the experts in the field and advises the Austrian Ministry of Environment (BMLFUW). AGES runs an accredited laboratory (ISO 17025) for radon measurement in air, soil gas and water. AGES provides expert work for European and international institutions (EC, IAEA, WHO) and participates in radon projects (e.g. RADPAR; WHO International Radon Project).
- BfS is an organisationally independent, scientific-technical, higher federal authority in the portfolio of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB). The BfS was established in 1989 with the objective to pool competences in the fields of radiation protection, nuclear safety, transport and storage of nuclear fuels, and radioactive waste disposal. In accordance with its mission the BfS is involved in the implementation of the Council Directive 2013/59/Euratom into national legislation. BfS maintains an accredited calibration service laboratory accredited for the measuring quantities “activity concentration of radon-222 in air” and “potential alpha energy concentration” (PAEC) of the short-lived radon-222 progenies. BfS is developing methods to identify radon priority areas.
- CLOR is a research institute created in 1957 by a decree of Prime Minister with functions concerning the protection of state from radiation hazards. CLOR has participated in several national and international projects e.g. monitoring of radioactive contamination in foodstuffs and environmental components, around-the-clock radiological emergency service assistance, support the countermeasures against illegal trafficking in nuclear and radioactive materials, monitoring of personal radiation doses, calibration and attestation of radiation measurement instruments, research on matters dealing with radiation, radiation protection, radiobiology and radioecology, professional training in radiation protection.
- IRSN is the French national public expert on nuclear and radiological risks. IRSN contributes to public policies in the fields of nuclear safety and ionizing radiation protection for public health and environment. As a research and scientific institution it acts in consultation with all stakeholders concerned by these policies, while preserving its independence of judgment. IRSN has a long experience on radon risk assessment. IRSN expertise covers radon survey, radon metrology, radon mapping, prevention and remediation in houses and public buildings, radon transport modelling in the geosphere and buildings, epidemiological studies and quantitative risk assessment, dose calculation as input in the ICRP and participation to ISO and IEC. IRSN radon tests bench is directly linked to the radon gas standard and insure the traceability of in-situ measurement radon devices to the quantity radon activity concentration. IRSN participated to the Euromet project 657 (Comparison of calibration facilities for radon activity concentration) and to the Interreg V France-Suisse 2014-2020 (JURAD-BAT Project: improve the radon risk management). For metrology, IRSN is working closely with the LNHB to enhance the traceability of in-situ measurement radon devices to the quantity radon activity concentration in air.
- JRC The Joint Research Centre of the European Commission is working on a project to create a European Atlas of Natural Radiation. JRC has experience in data collection, data harmonization, statistical evaluation, mapping, geostatistical analysis, organizing meetings and workshops.
JRC`s Radionuclide Metrology Laboratory has considerable experience in the primary standardisation of activity, low-level radioactivity measurements and in nuclear decay data measurements. With respect to the JRP, JRC has extensive experience in, radioactive source preparation, organising complete laboratory comparison exercises and standardization. Link to JRC-Geel laboratories.
- SUBG has long-term experience in radon and thoron research and measurements. In particular it provides specific expertise in the methodology of retrospective measurements of radon and thoron, their traceability and quality assurance. SUN has also expertise in prospective radon and thoron measurements as well as other radioactivity measurement techniques like gamma-ray spectrometry and liquid scintillation counting. Within the recent Euratom low-doses research project DoReMi SUN has developed a laboratory infrastructure for retrospective radon and thoron dosimetry which is particularly relevant to the activities of the JRP.
- SÚJCHBO is the National Institute for Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Protection. One of laboratories is engaged in the measurement and the evaluation of natural radioactivity with a special concern for the measurement of radon and its decay products. Such laboratories had a long tradition, starting in 1954. The Authorized Metrological Centre (AMS) working under SÚJCHBO v.v.i. ensures the metrological traceability for devices that measure the radon air concentration and the energy equivalent radon concentration connected with the radon decay products. It is the only laboratory in the Czech Republic for calibration and testing of the instruments for the aforementioned quantities.
- UC is a modern public institution whose main purpose is to contribute to social progress through teaching and scientific excellence. This allowed UC to confirm the “International Campus of Excellence” label in December 2014 with the highest score. The university host LaRUC laboratory that is the first and single Spanish laboratory with accreditation ISO 17025 on radon measurements (radon in indoor air and radon exhalation from soil). The head of the laboratory has more than 40 years expertise on radon measurements and the laboratory is in charge of most of the measurements that compose the national radon database hosted by CSN (Spanish Nuclear Safety Council). Different radon inter-comparisons have been carried out in this place over the last years. At the moment, LaRUC laboratory is involved in some radon projects both national and international. Some LaRUC researchers are also members of the Executive Committee of ERA (European Radon Association).
- METAS is the Swiss national metrology institute. It realizes and disseminates internationally harmonized and recognized units of measurement with the necessary accuracy. One of its technical fields is ionizing radiation where METAS offers services, infrastructure and experience in radioactivity measurement and dosimetry. As the Swiss authority for measurement instruments regulated by law, METAS is responsible for the approbation and verification of active and passive radon measurement devices and instruments.